Monday, April 6, 2009

Learning is Fun

This Spring quarter is showing a lot of promise. If you haven't found out by now, I'm no longer a Bio major, or will no longer be a bio major by the end of this quarter. Instead I will, hopefully, graduate UCI as a Public Health Policy major. The switch from a science major to something that is non-science is a scary switch for me because I am now removing myself from world and placing myself into another world. Growing up, one of the things that I always wanted to do as a kid was become a scientist. I had so many aspirations back then. I wanted to cure cancer, make some sort of potion that will make people feel young all the time, etc. I pretty much wanted to make the world a happier place. Then I got older and reality sort of kicked me in the face. I still have the desire to grow up and help people, but I just have to find another way to do it.

During spring break I realized that I was in the wrong major and pretty wasted the first two years of my college career trying to be successful in a major that was simply not suited for me. I tried my hardest every quarter, spending a ridiculous amount of time trying to expand my knowledge of biology only to receive grades that did not justify the amount of effort and time I spent. After realizing that I was never good at biology and seeing that my current path is not going to take to where I want to go, I opted to switch my major to something that I might have a chance at and it will hopefully refuel my desire to study again. I never thought studying was a bad thing because in the end I'm learning something new. Whether I'm learning about business, laws, or whatever I am studying, I used to enjoy the process of gaining new knowledge. I can't say that there has never been a time when I wished I was doing something else other than studying but looking back at all my study sessions, I used to never have a problem with the idea of studying until college.

I'm hoping that my switch of major that it will allow me to enjoy my last couple years at UCI and raise my GPA back from the dead. As for now, enjoy my last couple weeks as a second year and just remember to take some time to sniff the roses/whatever plant smells nice in Aldrich park and prepare for the future. (Namely getting ready to study abroad, so pretty much getting ready for that culture shock. :D)

1 comment:

s d v said...

this might not mean much, but i'm so SO proud of you, son :]